Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Homeschooling Week 2

I do not think that I am crazy YET:) As a matter of fact, I am getting used to the idea and finding new benefits as I go.
It helps tremendously to meet other people and other kids!
Today we had our first play date with another homeschooling family. Two boys --8 and 5 years old came over and they played for almost 2.5 hours. And it was great! No fighting, no screaming, and surprisingly the house is still in tact:) I loved meeting the Mom as well, and we had a lovely chat over a cup of tea. This family just came to US after living for several years in Holland, and both of the parents are scientists. The boys were very friendly and even our cat loved their company. Usually he is a bit cautious around new kids (he has his reasons) The first meeting is always a bit more difficult than the others, but I am glad that Andrei will be able to make friends and build relationships with kids his own age without having to spent all day in the classroom.

I am also looking forward to meeting another family next Tuesday. There are 3 boys there, and the Mom speaks Russian. So if all of us get together, it makes 6 boys and my 2.5 year old girl. That will teach her to be less sassy:)

Fridays are reserved for chess playing, and almost every other day of the week we have some kind of sport in the afternoon. So Andrei is busy, and so am I.

And since this post is already completely not Art related, I might as well put the rest of the information I've been meaning to share with you. A few find in the world of games and a few books that I am using now.
First games--we as a family love playing board games in the evenings. A quiet pass time, that does not bother our neighbours, and lets us all do something together. A recent favorite is
Carcassonne (click to see more info on wiki)

And as far as schooling goes, I love these Brain Quest cards. I baught a couple of workbooks by Brain Quest and got the cards as a gift, and they are great! Easy to carry, easy to use. And the best part is, they are seen not as "studying" but rather as a game. I will keep them in my bag for subway rides, lines and some other waiting times.

2 comments:

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Your blog is delightful. I will certainly come back.

Vita said...

Thank you Shari! I will be happy to see you again!

 

blogger templates